Monday, October 27, 2008

last saturday

Last saturday's class was really interesting. I showed up late to level 1 all flustered & ended up assisting The Rock teaching instead of training. I made a couple of mistakes while demonstrating techniques, but for the first time I didn't want to kill myself over it. I guess I'm starting to get used to talking in front of the class, because my heart wasn't about to burst out of my chest. The Rock also has a very calming influence on me, so maybe that's it, too.

Second hour was GB's level 2/3 class & it was SO much fun. At one point he sat down on his behind with his back against the wall, knees bent & arms resting on his knees. He said, "You know, I was sitting like this the other day, & I started thinking..." So he had
us work defenses from this position. I love it when my teachers put things into a context of reality & just make you work through things while guiding you along. I rarely got up off the ground because my attacker was coming in hard & not backing off, but it was good, because it forced me practice kicking - just kicking - the crap out of somebody.

Third hour was BJJ with the Sultan of Sneak (SS). I'm often confused by Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, because I only practice it once a week, and its so complicated. Though I suspect its one the arts that, once you get it, its so obvious.

On being a good partner: I'm working with a woman who is much stronger & more experienced than me. She's very conscientious about being a good partner. But because she's so much stronger, she's ripping my joints out of their sockets without meaning to, & I spent the weekend icing my knee as a result. The dilemma is, if I ask her to lighten up, am I being a poor partner? I don't want to hold her back at all, I like her & respect her. And when I want to go hard, its a bummer to pair with someone who can't! The trick, I suppose, is to find the balance that works for both parties, just like any other relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment