Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Tuesday Night Fights

Started off first hour with the Gentleman & Big Daddy J making a futile attempt at teacher training. I've been lazy for about a week and a half & not studied my teaching cards, so when Big Daddy J asked me to teach him front kick, something I've gone over about a million times, I screwed it up. Lesson learned, still have a ways to go. I also found out the Gentleman is prepping for his next Phase training & will be gone for a few weeks. I get extremely attached to my favorite training partners, so I'm not happy, but he wouldn't accept my extremely generous bribe to stay, so I'll just have to put up with it.

2nd hour was level 3/4 with Relentless. I haven't solved my little situation of taking a while to warm up, so I was a big fat uncoordinated goober for most of the class. And I've been caught one too many times cheating by keeping my eyes open to little slits when we're supposed to have our eyes closed for attacks, so I actually had to be a good girl & slam my eyelids shut on command. Grrrr... Then every time the Rock or Gina Carano would grab me by the throat in attack I would squeal so loudly! It always sounds like someone stepped on a puppy when I get taken by surprise. Its a flaw I've decided not to worry about. Right now I've got bigger fish to fry. If I squeal like a little girl while I'm kicking your ass, your ass is still kicked, no? A lot of sparring tonight, too.

One thing I appreciate about Relentless is that no matter how dumb my questions or mistakes are, he never gets impatient. At least, he never shows it.

Next class was yoga with Dr. J. I am really glad they've added this class, its the breath of fresh air I didn't even know I needed.

Finally, MMA class with Mudslide. I've been a lurker in the shadows for quite a while, I'm much smaller than many of the guys in there & didn't want to hold anyone back because of it. Well, too bad for them, I really like what they do in there & want to learn! I was planning on partnering with the Gentleman & really looking forward to it since he's leaving, but Mudslide partnered me with a new girl. I was muttering curse words under my breath about it - to my mother's dismay, I have a mouth like a sailor - but she turned out to be an excellent partner! One of the things I liked best about her was she will tell you what she wants. We were doing a long combination that confused her & instead of just plowing through without understanding & making no progress, she asked me to keep attacking with only the first part of the combo until she'd mastered it. Sounds like common sense, but a lot of people won't do that! So good for her, I say. She mastered it, we moved on, & she had the whole combo down cold by the end. Also, she hits hard, which is a quality I like in a woman. Way to go, Goldilocks!
We also did hip throws & sparred some more. I got a fun round of sparring violence in with the Gentleman, so that was the frosting on the MMA cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment